Impact of the project in the EU
LIGNOFLAG is funded by the Bio-Based Industries Joint Undertaking (BBI JU) which is a €3.7 billion Public-Private Partnership between the EU and the Bio-based Industries Consortium. Operating under Horizon 2020, this EU body is driven to develop sustainable and competitive bio-based industries in Europe, based on biorefineries that source their biomass sustainably by
- demonstrating new technologies to fill the gap in value chains,
- developing business models integrating all economic actors along the value chain,
- setting-up flagship biorefinery plants, deploying business models and technologies to keep investments in the EU.
Under grant agreement no. 709606, LIGNOFLAG receives € 24.7 millions.
LIGNOFLAG intends to make a substantial contribution to the EU’s growth strategy for the coming decade, Europe 2020. This strategic initiative has defined various priority goals on employment, research and development, climate change and energy for the EU in order to become a smart, sustainable and inclusive economy. By building the sunliquid® plant in Romania, LIGNOFLAG will be strengthening the Danube region, as Romania is part of it. In this way, LIGNOFLAG will contribute to the economic growth of the region, which is a target of the Danube Strategy.
The benefits of LIGNOFLAG for the European Society are:
- Significant contribution to reducing greenhouse gas emissions and mitigating climate change
- Creation of green jobs, especially in rural areas
- Boost of local economies and creation of additional business opportunities
- Extension of current biofuel production to new, currently underutilized non-food biomass
- Improvement of overall performance and sustainability of biofuels
- Stimulation of wide-spread implementation of cellulosic ethanol in the EU
- Creation of a sustainable and competitive source of domestic renewable energy for the EU
- Support of the transformation from a fossil-based economy to a bio-based, circular economy